In this age, it isn’t easy to think of a day where we do not interact with software. A plethora of software is available and used in the market to help us increase our efficiency with our tasks and eventually improve the quality of life. With high-tech companies using a range of software to support and cater to their consumers the demand and need of it are ever-changing and increasing. There is now an extensive requirement for customized software in the market.
But for most of us, the software is a complex and an abstract idea. While it is true that software is a nuanced and intricate computer program or application system, it is also used every day.
There are various forms of software and its applications. Often this numerous cutting-edge software used for the latest technology that is redefining our lives can be an overwhelming concept. But to begin with, one can categorize software into four main types.
But before we delve into discussing the four types of software and their uses, let’s look into the next section. It will help us to understand what software is. This will give us an overall preview of how they work and how they are used in enhancing businesses.
What Is Software?
Typically if you ask a computer programmer the definition you will get from him/her is a more complex version than this. But if we put it in simple terms, the software is essentially a kind of program or an application that allows the user to perform a particular set of tasks. It is the task of the software that directs the peripheral devices that are there on the computer system. This translates into the fact that it determines precisely the tasks it should perform and how to perform it. Software is the crucial aspect that works as the connection between the user and the hardware of a computer. A user will therefore fail to perform a task on a computer if there is no software. It is a software development company that develops software for clients.
Types Of Software
Typically software is categorized into two major types, Application software and System Software. However, at times two more categories are added, Programming Software and Driver Software. Driver software at times is categorized under System software too. Here is a brief overview of this software and the areas where they perform.
The most common and used computer software in the market, often defined as end-user programs or productivity programs. The purpose of it is to help users to perform the desired task and get the end-result they had hoped for. Often these are used for:
- Conducting online researches
- Designing graphics
- Making notes
- Maintaining accounts
- Computer games
These are often done as part of the custom software development, i.e. developed as per the requirement of the user. Some of the application software are:
- Word Processors: Applications that help with documentation, which includes formatting, printing and storing of the documents.
- MS Word
- Corel WordPrefect
- Google Docs
- Database Software: Commonly referred to as DBMS (Database Management System), a software that helps in organizing the data like
- MS Access
- Multimedia Software: Software that can create, record and play images, videos or audio files are refereed as multimedia software. These are mainly used for video and image editing, animation, and graphics. Some of the most known multimedia software are:
- Adobe Photoshop
- VLC Media Player
- Windows Movie Maker
- Windows Media Player
- Web Browsers: For the intent of browsing the internet so that the users can locate and retrieve data from the world wide web these software are used, some of them are
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
The intent of developing system software is to allow a device e.g Computer, mobile device, laptop etc. to have all the applications run seamlessly on them. The system software is the key in the running of application software effortlessly and impeccably on a device or system as they approve of the platform or environment of the device. Some of the system software are:
- Operating System: One example of system software is the collection of software that allows resources to be handled for general services and running of other application. There are a wide variety of operating systems, from single-user, multi-user, distributed, real-time, embedded, etc. There are also full-stack development services that develop various apps specifically for operating systems like iOS and Android. Some of the OS in the market are:
- MS Windows
- Firmware: A read-only, permanently embedded software that provides instructions on how a device is to interact with other hardware. Some of them are:
- Embedded Peripherals
- Computer Peripherals
- Utility: This software is developed to maintain a given system so they can provide infrastructure support. The most common utility software are anti-viruses, disk cleanup, compression and management tools. Some examples:
- McAfee Antivirus
- Norton Antivirus
- Windows File Explorer
- Razer Cortex
Driver Software or Device Drivers
This software can be categorized under the system software too, and at times they are treated as separate software. The software that especially controls specific hardware in a system is referred to as device drivers. There is hardware that needs a driver to connect to the system and function seamlessly like displays, graphic and sound cards, keyboard, hard disks, printers, mice, etc. Some examples of such drivers are:
- BIOS Driver
- ROM Drivers
- Motherboard Drivers
- Printer Drivers
- Display Drivers
- Sound Drivers
- USB Drivers
Programming software is specifically developed for programmers to write codes. This software is developed especially catering to develop other software, on which programs can be written, developed, tested and debugged. This software uses programming languages like:
The software with these languages translates the codes in a way that a device will understand to operate it.
It takes all these software to work together efficiently for a device to function properly. The more the software is efficient and customer-oriented the better productivity will it produce. Custom software helps with eliminating the bottleneck of expenses and functioning. It also makes managing the market easier. Furthermore, by identifying the different types of software, one can be in a better position to serve the firm. This is because the person would know exactly the type of software the organization would require to function better. It is the job of a software development company to venture into developing new software that will offer an extra edge to the consumer and businesses.